Friday, June 25, 2010

NAYANTARA & NEELANJAN CHAPTER 9

Sheepishly I asked the cop to tell me which hospital it was?
“This is Bombay Hospital & Medical Research Centre and this is Marine Lines”, the hefty cop replied.
I rang Sanjeev’s number and was still clueless who he was and how Paakhi and he knew each other.
Clearing my throat I inquired, “Mr. Sanjeev?”
“Yes. It’s me. Give me the location without a delay of single second”, he replied back.
“Bombay Hospital & Medical Research Centre at Marine Lines”, I replied sheepishly.
I was trembling and also shivering. I had never seen so much blood in my life. Still horrific was the presence of Paakhi’s blood on my shirt.
My eyes were getting blurred and my heart had started beating faster.
Paakhi’s phone rang again.
“This is Sanjeev here and why the hell has she been taken to Bombay Hospital? Don’t you know Jaslok should have been better?” he said angrily.
I simply couldn’t figure out what to say.
“Yes. Certainly! But the cops didn’t waste a minute and made the ambulance park straight in front of this hospital’s gate”, I replied.
“Where is she now?” Sanjeev asked in a much higher pitch this time.
“They are taking her to the operation theater and I need to hang up now since I have to sign up some papers”, I concluded.
“No need to sign any papers before I reach there in another twenty minutes”, said Sanjeev.
“But they require signature of a person who is ready to take her responsibility”, I replied.
“Look Mr. whoever you are. Neither are you a family member nor are you a friend. Basically I don’t know you and I still don’t know what Paakhi was doing at Colaba. Ok. Now let me hang up because I think I am almost there!” concluded Sanjeev.
“Are you her family member, friend, fiancée, office colleague or relative?” asked the cop.
I was thoroughly confused. I just replied with blankness in my voice.
“A friend”
“The doctor who examined her the moment we bought her in here says, stitches need to be administered on the wound she sustained on her forehead”, said the cop.
“They need somebody’s signature since lot of blood has flowed down. There might be a mild fracture close to the area near waist. Only an X-ray can confirm that”, completed the cop.
To sum it up, it was necessary for some documents to be signed up before Paakhi could be operated.
I was at the most difficult juncture of my life. Neelanjan’s Nayantara was injured. And Paakhi who had saved Abhiroop’s life was now unconscious.
As I was lost in my thoughts, a black colored Mercedes came to a halt near the entrance. The door opened and I saw an average built but close to six feet tall guy jump out of the car. He was wearing blue denim jeans, a white T-Shirt and a black jacket over it. Reebok was imprinted on the white pair of sport shoes he was wearing. He straight away walked towards the reception desk, we were all standing at. Looking at the cops and without even taking notice of me, he straight away walked towards them.
“I am Sanjeev. How is Paakhi? Where is she?” he inquired.
“She is in the Operation Theatre, a bit critical and needs to be operated immediately”, one of the cops replied.
“Ok”, Sanjeev concluded.
“Where is that guy who seemed to have accompanied Paakhi in the ambulance?” asked Sanjeev.
The cop who had taken down my statement a few minutes back directed him towards me.
Sanjeev gently walked towards me. I kept looking at his personality. He was definitely handsome. ‘I am rich’ was written all over him. He slowly approached and stood close to me glancing at me with anger, suspicion and speechlessly.
“I am Sanjeev. My name is Sanjeev Surti and I am Paakhi’s fiancée”, he introduced himself.
The papers I was clutching in my hands slipped. The pen landed on the ground and I suddenly saw the world of my dreams shatter.
“What have you done to my Paakhi?” he questioned in a tone that was extremely uncanny.
Before I could reply, he gripped my collar.
“This is Paakhi’s blood on your shirt, isn’t it?” he asked.
“You have her blood on you” he added.
“Give me the papers and get out before I unleash my inner evil on you”, he yelled.
The cops came to my rescue and freed me of his clutches.
“Wait Mister”, Sanjeev yelled at me.
I turned back. Sanjeev made an advance to me and the next moment landed a tight slap on my face.
“You are responsible for all this and I promise you every needle that pierces my Paakhi’s skin will leave its pain on you”, he said.
I was utterly shocked to discover Paakhi was engaged. Sanjeev was real and he was standing in front of me. I mustered the courage to get up. My lip had started bleeding profusely after it suffered the slap. I looked at Sanjeev from the corner of my eye as he stood their signing the papers. I advanced towards him and was about to tap his shoulder, I collapsed.

- vociferous

No comments:

Post a Comment